The Warehouse, Scotchburn Garth, Skerne Road, Driffield YO25 6EF - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How old do I have to be to hire a vehicle?

For our cars and light vans up to 3,500kg GVW you must be aged between 25 and 70.

For our MPVs and 7.5 Tonne Vans you must be aged between 30 and 70

What documentation do I need to hire a vehicle?

All of the following documentation must be presented when you come to collect your hire vehicle:

A driver's licence for each driver that you wish to be included on the rental agreement. The licence must be a full current licence and must have been held for a minimum of 2 years (i.e. you must have passed your driving test at least 2 years ago).

If you are renting a 7.5 Tonne Van, or you have a foreign licence, you must have at least 5 years experience since passing your driving test.

If you have a UK DVLA photocard licence, you must obtain an access code from the DVLA by visiting, which will allow us to obtain your latest licence details.

The access code is in a secure format containing upper and lower case letters as well as numbers, and it is important to copy it accurately, or preferably, to print it. If you do not have time to do this, you should bring your photocard licence and your national insurance number to the office.

If you do not have a photocard licence then we will also require photo ID. A UK Passport is best, as we do not accept over the counter documents such as bus passes, which can be easily copied. We will also require the DVLA access code from you as described above.

Two further forms of identification. These must show a local (East Yorkshire) area address. For example recent utilities bills, bank statements or credit card statements. NB. These are in addition to your Passport if used as photo ID as above. This is because your Passport does not contain your address.

If you are Self Employed we may also require proof of self employed status which we can photocopy.

Important! All of the documents presented must be originals. Photocopies are not acceptable. Driving licences must be presented every time you collect a vehicle. No licence = no vehicle!

How do I pay?

Unless you have a pre-arranged account with us you must use a credit or debit card. All major credit cards are welcome, including Visa, Mastercard and Switch. You should make sure that you have enough credit available to cover the hire charge.

We do not take a deposit against our damage excess from you, but you must ensure that you have sufficient funds available to make a payment when you return the vehicle, in the event of damage having occurred.

What does the price include?

The prices we advertise or quote include comprehensive insurance, 200 miles per day and VAT.

Any miles driven over 200 per day will be charged at an additional rate which will also be quoted.

How much is the Insurance excess?

The standard insurance excess is £1000, athough this can be reduced by purchasing an excess waiver - details available when booking a vehicle. Please note, the applicable excess may exceed £1000 depending on your driving record, your age, your occupation, the number of drivers named and other variables such as the type of vehicle being rented. If you need to know the exact amount you may need to come to our office and have an on-line test proposal carried out before you collect.

What is not covered by the insurance?

The following losses are not covered and will be charged to the renter

  • Negligent damage to wheels and tyres
  • Tyre repair or renewal due to puncture damage while on hire (unless tyre & windscreen cover has been paid for at the commencement of the rental).
  • Theft of wheels and tyres including spares
  • Damage to the underside of the vehicle because of off- road driving
  • Overhead damage to the vehicle
  • Any windscreen damage (unless tyre & windscreen cover has been paid for at the commencement of the rental).
  • Contents of the vehicle belonging to the renter
  • The first £1000 excess

What are Damage Liability Reduction and Tyre and Windscreen Cover?

Damage Liability Reduction reduces or eliminates the excess you will have to pay in the event that our vehicle is damaged while on hire to you. It can be taken out with an additional payment at the commencement of the rental.
The cost varies with the type of vehicle being rented.

Tyre and Windscreen Cover eliminates the cost of repairs or replacement of tyres or windscreen glass due to accidental damage while on hire to you.

Damage Liability Reduction and Tyre and Windscreen Cover do not cover you for the following:

  • Negligent damage to wheels and tyres
  • Theft of wheels and tyres
  • Damage to the underside of the vehicle because of off road driving
  • Overhead damage to the vehicle
  • Fuel shortage charges
  • Excess cleaning charges

What if I have points on my licence?

All visible 'in date' endorsements and convictions must be declared when we enter your insurance proposal. This includes any bans, however long. Most endorsements stay on your licence for 4 years, but more serious offences remain live for up to 11 years. Your insurance risk score may be affected and the insurance excess is likely to be raised. In some extreme cases it may not be possible to go head with the rental. If you think that this may apply to you then please let us know as soon as possible before you require the vehicle so that we can obtain an on-line decision either way and allow you to make alternative arrangements if necessary.

NB. No one who is within the age specified for the vehicle, who has held a full licence for at least 2 years which is clean and can provide the identification specified and has a credit card will be refused a rental.

What are excess cleaning Charges?

We supply our vehicles fully valeted internally and externally and expect that through normal private or business use they will require valeting by ourselves again prior to being supplied to our next customer.Excess cleaning charges are only applied where unreasonable soiling of the vehicle has taken place, ie spillages of food or drink, vomit, oil, grease or any other cleaning of the passenger and load compartments which prevents us from re-hiring the vehicle within a reasonable time.Permanent stains or damage due to abuse to the vehicle requiring replacement of fittings or upholstery will also be invoiced to the renter in full.

What if I am late returning the vehicle?

You must contact us and let us know if you are going to be late so that we can extend your insurance cover. A charge will be made for this.

We never book a vehicle in unless it is physically back on our premises and therefore continuous insurance cover is maintained.

Important! You must never risk the safety of yourself or other road users in order to return a vehicle on time.

If you would like to extend the period of hire, please let us know by phone or in person. We will be glad to make the necessary arrangements as long as your vehicle has not been pre-booked by another customer.

What if I breakdown?

All of our vehicles are covered for roadside assistance and recovery if necessary in the UK, usually under the manufacturers own scheme. Details are supplied with the vehicle documents.

All of the major servicing and safety inspections to our vehicles are carried out by external contractors to ensure that an independent assessment of the condition of the vehicle is made. These are carried out at a maximum interval of 6 months or 12,000 miles which far exceeds the requirements of most vehicle manufacturers.

Our 7.5 Tonne vehicles are independently inspected every 6 weeks.

We are therefore confident that breakdowns are unlikely and that assistance will be rapidly available if one does occur.

Can I take the vehicle abroad?

Not unless you have our written permission and all of the correct documentation for the country you are visiting. You need to give us at least 2 weeks notice so that we can apply for a VE103 'Vehicle On Hire Certificate' on your behalf and also obtain a green card insurance certificate.If the renter is not in possession of a VE103, the vehicle can be impounded by the authorities and if this happens we will invoice the renter for the full cost of recovering the vehicle, including repatriation to the UK. This cost can exceed the value of the vehicle.We also need to ensure that you are carrying any equipment which is legally required in the country you are visiting, that the vehicle complies with local requirements and also that breakdown cover applies. An additional charge will be made for these arrangements.

Do I need to re-fuel the vehicle?

All of our vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel for your convenience. Please ensure the vehicle is returned with a full tank by refilling with the correct type of fuel as specified on your rental agreement just before you return it. If you refill the vehicle outside of Driffield, or we suspect the tank may have less fuel in than when you collected the vehicle, we may refuel the vehicle ourselves and add the cost to your invoice. If you need to re-fuel the vehicle, please only use the correct grade of fuel as advised on the rental agreement.

How do I return the vehicle?

When you return the vehicle to Scotchburn Garth you will be be met by someone who will check the vehicle for damage. Please also show any fuel receipts to verify that the vehicle has been filled with the correct fuel.

Please report any maintenance items which require our attention.

The mileage reading from the vehicle will be entered into our system and a receipt will be issued to confirm that the vehicle has been returned in good condition.

Important! You must never return a vehicle by posting the keys through the office door as this will invalidate your insurance cover!

The full cost of replacement of any vehicles lost due to theft in this way will be invoiced to the renter, as our insurers will not cover the cost of replacing a vehicle which has been stolen using its own key.

If you are returning outside of normal office hours, you must secure the vehicle and retain the key, which must then be returned during office hours. The vehicle remains your responsibility until the key is returned in person.